VIMM’s Mouse Phenotyping Facility is a polyvalent structure established to provide investigators with tools for the precise analysis of in vivo phenotypes, relative to the areas of:- Cardiovascular Research- Metabolism / Physiology- Neuroscience and Behavioral Research- Cancer
Ugo Basile #47650 Rotarod
Ugo Basile designed the original RotaRod, thefirst industrial RotaRod, based on the 1957 paper by N.W Dunham and T.S Miya. The47650Rota-Rod NG (Next Generation), isan evolution of the original model andthe resultof many years of research.The Mouse RotaRod consists of five 3cm diam. cylinders, which aresuitably machined to provide grip. Six 25cm diam. dividers make for fivelanes, each 5.7cm wide, enabling five mice to be on the rotorsimultaneously. The height to fall is 16cm. A brand new, user friendly software, is included as standard; via the newsoftware, the operator can easily organize the experiment on her/his PC, and upload it to the Rota-Rod via the USB key. The software automaticallyclassifies the data, combining configuration settings with test results; theuser can add information, before or after the test.
Ugo Basile’s Grip Strength Meter (GSM)
The Ugo Basile Grip-Strength Meter automatically measures grip-strength(i.e. peak force and time resistance) offorelimbsand – via the optionalgrid – hindlimbs in rats and mice. The effects of drugs, toxins, musclerelaxants, disease, ageing or neural damage on muscle strength may beassessed. The Grip Strength test is a perfect complementto the gold standard UgoBasile Rota-Rod devicefor motor coordination and motorfunctionexperiments. The effects of drugs, toxins,muscle relaxants,disease, ageing or neuraldamage on muscle strength may be assessed.The animal is placed over a base plate, in front of a grasping bar (either T-shaped or trapeze-shaped, or the optinoal grid), whose height isadjustable. The grasping tool is fitted to a force sensor connected to thePeak Amplifier, which guarantees a reliable and automateddetection ofthe animal response.The force transducer has a maximum applicableforceof 1500g, with a resolution.
Videotracking Open Field setup
The Open Field is used to assess exploratory behavior and validated for use in the measurement of anxiety related behaviors.
The Ugo Basile OpenField Cage is available in two different sizes and in a number of differentversions, to match different experimental needs. Open Field Cages canalso be conveniently used for novel object recognition (NOR) test.Walls can be quickly detached from the bottom, for ease of cleaning andstorage.
All Animal Mazes manufactured by Ugo Basile are designed to giveoptimal results with any Video-Tracking software.
This is achieved by:
- high-contrast colors: grey, white, black or the NEW Ugo Basile light-blue.
- non-reflective surface: reflections are a common source of error inanimal tracking.
Let’s avoid them all materials were selected to be sturdy and easy to clean, to constructreliable and durable devices. Surface texture was selected for best rodentcomfort (reasonably rough, “warm” surface). The Mouse model is dimensioned 44x44cm, according to therequirements of Eumorphia Empress SOPs; walls are 30cm tall, availablein transparent Perspex or grey PVC. A special model of mouse cage isavailable, dimensioned 40x40cm, with uprights to fit infrared sensor, forcombined recording of horizontal (videotracking) and vertical (sensors)activity. The Rat cage is 100x100cm (inside dimensions 92x92cm), with 40cm tallwalls. The larger cage is also available with optional dividers to create four46x46cm arenas.
Mouse Specifics’ DigiGait
Gait analysis is the study of the manner of walking. It is used worldwide toaid in the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of ambulatory problems, including Parkinson’s disease, muscular dystrophy, and nerve injury. It is increasing being recognized as a useful preclinical assay to better understand how animal models may reflect the human condition, and to generate quantitative metrics of normal and abnormal gait.
DigiGait is now the most widely published ventral plane videography instrumentation available for gait analysis in laboratory animals. Voluntaryand treadmill walking, DigiGait performs gait analysis of mice and rats over a range of walking and running speeds. Ventral Plane Imaging (VPI) Technology continuously images the underside of the animals walking atop of the patented motorized transparent treadmill belt, generating “digital paw prints” and dynamic gait signals. These dynamic gait signals, generated for each of the 4 limbs, describe the posture and kinematics of the animals that reflect strength, balance, and coordination. Animals can also be challenged to walk up an incline or down a decline to maximize the details about the subjects’ motor abilities.DigiGait is the most widely applicable and comprehensive gait analysis instrumentation available.
- Key advantages over other devices you are considering:
- Enables study of voluntary and treadmill walking
- Enables study of hopping and running at high speeds
- Enables study of gait in animals walking up inclines and down declines.
- Enables the capture of numerous strides at known and comparable speeds, eliminating speed differences as the most important confounder in the
- interpretation of gait differences
- Data generated have lower standard errors and a higher degree of accuracy and repeatability
- The entire ventral view of the subject is imaged, not just the portions of the paw that make contact with illuminated glass
- Higher throughput, for data collection and data analysis
- Early detection of subtle phenotypes; most subtle phenotypes require animals to be studied over numerous strides under challenging
- conditions, such as is often the case for humans
- Motor Rater
- Fine motor skills assessment
Visualsonics VEVO 2100TM Echo-system
The Ultrasound Imaging System of VisualSonic Vevo 2100TM systemwas designed for small animal phenotyping. This system provides aconvenient, flexible and friendly tool for applications includingcardiovascular, inflammation, abdominal cavity, reproductive system, embryo and tumor.
- Superior resolution and image uniformity through entire field of view
- 30 micron resolution
- Frame rates up to 740 fps
- Color and Power Doppler Modes for blood flow quantification
- M-Mode single line acquisition for high-temporal resolution inLV functional analysis
- 3D-Mode Imaging & Volume Analysis
- Nonlinear Contrast Imaging
- VevoStrain™ Analysis software for cardiac research
- Advanced measurements & quantification
AD Instruments – Powerlab 8/30 (ECG)
The Bio Amp allows the PowerLab system to record biological signals, suchas ECGs (EKGs), EMGs, and EEGs, from humans or animals, with full electrical isolation. The PowerLab system consists of a recording unit and application programs that run on the computer to which the unit is connected. It is an integrated system of hardware and software designed to record, display, and analyze experimental data.
Equipped with analysis software platform LabChart 7.1 (AD Instruments).
DSI Telemeters (TA10ETA-F10)
Telemetry-based ECG analysis, which allows ECG monitoring in conscious and freely moving mice, thus eliminating possible confounding effects of theanesthetics. Telemeters (TA10ETA-F10, Data Science International (DSI), St.Paul, MN, USA) are transmitter, which record vital parameters andcommunicate, via radio waves, with a receiving device placed underneaththe mouse cage on a recording plate (RPC-1, DSI) and connected with adedicated PC.
Body composition analyzer delivers precise body composition measurements of fat, lean, free water, and total water masses in live animals weighing up to 100. The live animals need no anesthesia and no special preparation before measurement. Three holders currently available, allowing the measurement of mice ranging from 10 to 70 grams.
- Dimensions: 61cm x 80cm x 125cm (WxDxH)
- Weight: Approximately 225Kg
- Instrument power: 1 outlet at 115/230 VAC, 50-60 Hz, 500 W, 8A/4.5A
The 5-Gauss magnetic field is fully contained inside the rack with two exceptions: a 9”-radius hemisphere protruding from the rack at the bore opening and a similar hemisphere directly opposite to the bore opening.
Max Sample Mass:
- 100 grams
- 3 animal holders of custom-defined sizes, 20, 40, and 60 grams.
- Single-body system on 4 casters for easy relocation
- 5 – 10 minutes after turning power on
- Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
- User Input: Keyboard, mouse, and ASCII files
- User Output: Monitor and files: ASCII, Excel, Access
- Communication Ports: 2 USB / 1 RJ45 CAT-5 10/100Mb network card
- Monitor: 17″ LCD flat screen
- Measuring time: 0.5 – 3.2 minutes, depending on the precision option
- Calibration: Usually not required, a system test needs to be performed before using the machine every day
- Records: Automatic save in file system and database
- Measured: The whole body masses of Fat, Lean, Free Water, and Total Water