How can we more efficiently treat cardiovascular diseases for a long-lasting therapy in affected patients in terms of better survival and quality of life?
The research group of Cardiovascular Regenerative Medicine aims at creating innovative, viable and functional solutions as advanced treatments for cardiac diseases. The main objective is to translate newly formulated classic and transcatheter heart valve replacements, arterial substitutes, as well as a novel total artificial heart and a total bioengineered heart into potential therapies for patients with valve pathologies, heart ischemia or heart failure.
The research team aims also to provide more suitable sterilization and preservation techniques for these novel cardiovascular replacements.
Cardiovascular diseases are the leading cause of death and affect millions of people worldwide.
Ischemic cardiac disease and valvulopathies are only few of the clinical conditions possibly evolving to end-stage heart failure. Current therapeutic solutions foresee the surgical implantation of mechanical and bioprosthetic devices, as heart valve replacements, left ventricle assist devices or total artificial hearts. Such cardiosurgical therapies ameliorate the history of cardiovascular diseases, but are related to many drawbacks, as the lack of tissue viability, self-repair and remodel in function to somatic ingrowth. Thus, they represent temporary solutions with short durability and need replacement in re-do procedures, particularly disadvantageous for growing paediatric patients and generally associated to high mortality risks.
- MD, University of Verona Medical School, Verona, Italy (1983)
- Specialization in Cardiac surgery, University of Verona Medical School, Verona, Italy (1988)
- Visiting Surgeon, University Hospital, London, Ontario, Canada (1991)
- Visiting Surgeon, Texas Heart Institute, Houston, USA (1995)
- Associate Professor Cardiac Surgery, University of Padua Medical School (2000-2012)
- Chief Cardiac Surgery Unit, Padua University Hospital, Italy (2003–present)
- Director Heart Transplant and VAD program, Padua University Hospital, Italy (2003–present)
- Full Professor of Cardiac Surgery, Department of Cardiac Thoracic Vascular Sciences, University of Padua Medical School, Italy (2012–present)
- Group leader, Cardiovascular Regenerative Medicine, VIMM (2014–present)
- 2018-2020 – Presidente Eletto Società Italiana di Cardiochirurgia
- 2018 – Socio Non Residente ATENEO VENETO
- 2017 – Accademico Olimpico Onorario ACCADEMIA OLIMPICA
- 2013 – Lifetime Achievement Award in Valve Surgery – Heart Valve Society of America
- 2013 – Trentino Citizen of the year Award
- 2012 – Excellent Padova Citizens Award
- 2012-2014 – President Society for Heart Valve Disease
- 1999-2001 – Chairman Working Group on Tissue Engineering – Society for Heart Valve Disease
- 1998-2000 – President Ross Surgical Society
- 1993 – Alexis Carrel Award